There’s something about watching a good sports movie that gets us all inspired. How many of us have at some point wanted to jump off the couch and head to the nearest gym, boxing bag, ice rink or running track to see if we could do the things that the movies make look so easy! What is it about these movies that hits the motivation button and makes us want to be the next Usain Bolt?
Movies have a talent for playing on our emotions, even if we don’t realise it. The struggle to win, the fight to be the best and the challenges that they have to overcome. Cool Runnings showed that you don’t actually need snow to bobsled or to be a professional athlete. It also left us with a valuable message that you don’t have to win to earn respect, just be yourself and give your all.
Music is the other big emotional puller in movies. For me, I only have to hear the name “Rocky” and ‘The Eye Of The Tiger’ starts playing in my head.
So, whilst the 2018 Winter Olympics have finished up and the Commonwealth Games are just around the corner I thought why not reminisce and list some favourite Sports Movies that inspire.
Here are our top 15 inspiring (& some Funny) sports movies that we love:
- Cinderella Man (2005) M Biography, Drama, Sport, Staring: Russell Crowe, Renée Zellweger, Craig Bierko
- Coach Carter (2005) M Biography, Drama, Sport, Staring: Samuel L. Jackson, Rick Gonzalez, Robert Richard
- Cool Runnings (1993) G Adventure, Comedy, Family, Staring, John Candy, Leon, Doug E. Doug
- Eddie the Eagle (2016) PG Biography, Comedy, Drama, Staring: Taron Egerton, Hugh Jackman, Tom Costello
- Race (2016) PG 13+ Biography, Drama, Sport, Staring: Stephan James, Jason Sudeikis, Eli Goree
- I am Bolt (2016) PG Documentary, Biography, Sport, Staring: Pele, Neymar, Serena Williams
- Fighter (2010) M Biography, Drama, Sport, Staring: Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Amy Adams
- Ali (2001) M Biography, Drama, Sport, Staring: Will Smith, Jamie Foxx, Jon Voight&
- Invictus (2009) PG Biography, Drama, History, Staring: Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon, Tony Kgoroge
- The Blind Side (2009) M Biography, Drama, Sport, Staring: Quinton Aaron, Sandra Bullock, Tim McGraw
- Rocky (1976) Drama, Sport, Staring: Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Burt Young
- Peaceful Warrior (2006) PG Drama, Romance, Sport, Staring: Scott Mechlowicz, Nick Nolte, Amy Smart
- Remember the Titans (2000) PG Biography, Drama, Sport, Staring: Denzel Washington, Will Patton, Wood Harris
- Pelé: Birth of a Legend (2016) PG Biography, Drama, Sport, Staring: Vincent D’Onofrio, Rodrigo Santoro, Diego Boneta
- Blade of Glory (2007) M Comedy, Sport, Staring: Will Ferrell, Jon Heder, Amy Poehler
a few more suggestions that have followed since making the original list:
- A League of Their Own (1992) PG Comedy, Drama, Family, Staring: Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Madonna, Lori Petty
- The Cutting Edge (1992) PG Drama, Romance, Sports, Staring: D.B. Sweeney, Moira Kelly, Roy Dotrice
- Jappeloup (2014) PG Biography, Drama, Sport, Staring: Guillaume Canet, Marina Hands, Daniel Auteuil
- Ice Castles (1978) Drama, Romance, Sport, Staring: Lynn-Holly Johnson, Robby Benson, Colleen Dewhurst
- Miracle (2004) PG Biography, Drama, History, Staring: Kurt Russell, Patricia Clarkson, Nathan West
- Profontaine (1997) M Biography, Drama, Romance, Staring: Jared Leto, R. Lee Ermey, Ed O’Neill
- Chariots of Fire (1981) G Biography, Drama, Sport, Staring: Ben Cross, Ian Charleson, Nicholas Farrell
Did we miss any? Let us know your favourite all time inspiring sports movies and we’ll keep adding them to the list
A bit of a movie buff? Why not check out our other Movie Lists