The last year really, has been pretty grueling to say the least. To say this mama needed to get away is an understatement. The thing is, we need to make the time for ourselves. There is never going to be a good time or a right time. Your hubby and kids are always going to need you and want you, so unless you make the call to get away for some R&R, it will always remain a dream.
If you are not careful you can almost forget who you are. I’m not talking about being mum, wife, business owner or home maker. I am talking about the ‘You’ before you got all these other labels and titles. Time away, even for a weekend, can rejuvenate your soul, spirit and help you reconnect with yourself again.
Here’s 7 upsides to getting away by yourself:
- You remember: All the things you loved doing that you had forgotten about. They might be the simplest or littlest things but they are all important things that make up who you are.
- Showers: You can have a long, hot, uninterrupted shower or bath any time of day. I am a shower girl through and through. I forgot how much I loved having a shower in the middle of the day. It’s quirky I know, but it was something I loved doing on my days of when I was having a lazy day and evokes that feeling of freedom every time I do.
- Sleep: Not only can you sleep and wake whenever you want to, but you also get the added bonus of not having your partners snoring or your kids (coldness, bad dreams, hunger, sickness, missing sock or whatever it is) waking you throughout the night. Instead, you could be woken by nothing but the birds chirping in the morning.
- Eating: Actually eating when and where you want. Eating a hot meal or drinking a hot coffee and actually having the time to enjoy the moment.
- Doing nothing: To be able to do nothing except sit and take in the moment. To simply sit and watch people go by or just sit with a thought or none.
- Doing whatever you feel like: Whether that is room service with Foxtel or movies on demand, going to the gym, walking along the beach, shopping, curling up with a cup of tea and a good book, going and getting a massage, spending the day at a day spa or all or none of the above. The ability to have that choice is so therapeutic in itself.
- Leave: The joy of being able to leave whenever you want with the added bonus of being able to go with just keys, mobile & credit card. To be honest you could get away with just keys, but for me at 30 weeks pregnant and it being a high risk pregnancy it’s safer to have that phone with me.
When was the last time you had some down time?
If you like this post, have you read: When you need a break from life